…and it’s not what you’re thinking. (Although, you’re probably right with wherever your train of thought was going.)
January of this year, Sam Heughan (Outlander actor) issued a fitness challenge – My Peak Challenge. I’d been trying to find motivation to make a change, get moving, lose weight, and get healthy. I figured if a Scottish hottie couldn’t get me motivated then there was something wrong with me. Case in point….
Ummm….what was I saying?
I signed up for My Peak Challenge but found myself not sure how to proceed. I needed more…I just wasn’t sure of what. On Twitter (yay social media!), @MyPeakChallenge mentioned a Facebook group called ThePeakPosse who were helping each other with their challenges. I looked it up, asked to join, and got so much more than I bargained for – in a great-life-changing-these-women-are-AMAZING- way.
ThePeakPosse is the handiwork of Ms. Bonnie Terbush, aka Queen B, aka Bonnie, aka Thou Glorious Goddess of All (I may have made the last one up but it still applies.) Inspired by Sam’s (…oh yes, we’re on a first name basis now…) My Peak Challenge, Bonnie created an email group where several individuals could communicate and motivate. After the first 24 hours, she knew there was NO WAY email was going to cut it – too much interest. Being the organizational genius she is, she created a Facebook group that exploded with interest. As of today, there are 432 freaking awesome women. We talk, motivate, laugh, cry, blush (…what happens in ThePeakPosse, stays in ThePeakPosse…), support, debate, and strengthen each other.
FYI: We call that color “Heughan Blue”😘.
Our Queen B had a vision that went above and beyond fitness and motivation. She foresaw us being a force to be reckoned with. What happens when you get a group of focused, determined women? Pure awesomeness. Sam’s charity was the perfect place to start.
Sam’s My Peak Challenge ran from January to March. During that time, ThePeakPosse worked together not only on our separate challenges but also to help raise money for Sam’s charity – Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research. The purpose of the challenge was to inspire good health and strength all while raising money for LLR. According to Sam’s Twitter page, MPC raised over $100,000 for the charity. ThePeakPosse’s contribution? $25,588.5. Holy crap, right? Just wait…there’s more.
Once MPC was over, ThePeakPosse’s fearless leader, Ms. Bonnie, decided it was time to do something for the lovely Caitriona Balfe’s (Outlander actress) charity – World Child Cancer. Were ThePeakPosse on board? Faster than you could say “Sassenach”! So, from April through May, we gave it our all. What did the efforts of our tremendous group of women bring? Oh, only $17,402.58. You need a minute to appreciate our awesomeness? Go ahead. I’ll wait….cue Jeopardy music… You okay now?
Following the end of the campaign for WCC, we held to the whole “rolling stone gathers no moss” theory – no idleness here. The decision was made to focus on Graham McTavish’s (Outlander actor – are you seeing a pattern here?) charity – Action for Children. You can bet your sweet corn-grinder we are all on board with that idea. So, from July to the end of August, we are doing what we can to raise funds for Action for Children. What are we doing and how can you help? Well aren’t you so sweet. I’m glad you asked.
- You can make a donation at www.justgiving.com/ThePeakPosseActionForChildren SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: The donations on this site are being generously matched by Macquarie, the employer of Heather Lee Ying (ThePeakPosse lassie). In order for the match to occur, please include the following statement within your donation: “IN SUPPORT OF THE FUND RAISING EFFORTS, THEPEAKPOSSE/HEATHER L.Y“ Macquarie has matched our donations for other charities. They are beyond amazing!
- Enter to win the basket at www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/7c3e22083/ Seriously, the basket contains MIND-BLOWING-AMAZING GIFTS. Everything has been donated by the actors, Mr. Ron Moore and Outlander fans, including members of ThePeakPosse.
- We have a Zazzle store (which will stay open indefinitely) with very awesome items (t-shirts and flip-flops and key chains, oh my!): www.zazzle.com/thepeakpossegear
- Bonnie created an awesome Action for Children shirt/tank. The best part? It has Graham McTavish’s signature. (Printed – he can’t sign every shirt…that would be so amazing though!!!) You can find it here: www.zazzle.com/action_for_children_graham_mctavish_shirt-235856622228502729
- We also have an embroidered hat campaign through Booster featuring ThePeakPosse’s official logo. If you want a hat, you’d better hurry. The hat campaign closes August 7: www.booster.com/thepeakpossehat
All proceeds from Zazzle and Booster go to Action for Children.
Phew! That was a lot of info. We are hoping for a repeat of our prior successes. We would love for you to help out. It’s for an awesome program. They provide wonderful support for children. (Yes, that was a moment of shameless emotional blackmail. Did it work? Maybe a look at what’s in the basket will help…)
So yes, it all started with Sam’s fitness brainchild but ThePeakPosse has become so much more. I asked Bonnie why she did what she did. Her own words explain better than my paraphrasing ever could:
“I wanted to go beyond Sam’s charity because the show [Outlander] is extraordinary and, in a way, this is my way of giving back to the them. I mean, what can I give them that they don’t already have? I know it sounds a bit corny but if it wasn’t for Diana’s books and the series, I wouldn’t have met so many extraordinary women who have brought me so much love, laughter, support and opportunities to my life. It’s also phenomenal to interact with people from the organization and see first hand where the money is going, how it’s helping the various organizations.”
ThePeakPosse girls feel the same about you, Bonnie. All I can add is that ThePeakPosse has given me so much more than I had planned. It has helped me with my health and not just physically. It has reminded me that one of our purposes in life is to help others along the way. Even though we were inspired by Outlander and spurred into action by a hot Scot, sisterhood and charity are our foundation.
To my sisters, my circle of women, thank you for allowing it.
For more information (and all those important links):
To enter to win the basket: www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/7c3e22083/
Zazzle store: www.zazzle.com/thepeakpossegear
Graham McTavish/Action for Children tee: www.zazzle.com/action_for_children_graham_mctavish_shirt-235856622228502729
Booster campaign (Ending 8/7/15): www.booster.com/thepeakpossehat
Sam Heughan Photo Credit: Getty Images